It is not hard to realize that the Coronavirus has caused widespread fear across the world. Logically enough, this has accelerated the already growing trends of working remotely. Leading American Tech companies, by the likes of Google, Amazon and Twitter have already taken advantage of this model of employment. Indeed, now that many companies have a direct incentive to employ remote working models, they are only now learning what it takes to do this. Some of the basics include:
- Communication networks should be working at an optimum level.
- Cybersecurity measures tightened, as the increased move towards mass remote working presents a greater opportunity for cybercriminals to infiltrate IT systems.
- Bandwidth, whether at the server location or among the employees at home, has to be sufficient. It is crucial that company IT systems pass these initial tests. If a company’s IT infrastructure is lacking, remote working can only go so far.
Judging by the facts mentioned above, remote workers should generally differ from their office based counterparts by utilizing better technology. Of course, this is just a general overview of the variety of steps that should be taken. But, in the wake of the impact that the Novel Coronavirus has had on industry, it would be worth taking them into consideration.
Facilitate Digital Infrastructure
For larger companies, the IT infrastructure needed to support remote working models can be considerable; yet, this point is perhaps the most crucial. Indeed, the first thing that employers should do is make sure that all their staff owns the appropriate devices and programs. In terms of hardware, this means every employee should own a computer. If there are employees who do not own the appropriate devices, managers must be prepared to facilitate them by lending out inexpensive laptops.
This is also the case for software; it is essential for every employee to install the suitable programs so that coordination runs smoothly. Solely relying on email is insufficient. Some examples include applications such as Slack and Microsoft Teams. This software enables a quicker style of messaging for on-the-go coordination between team members.
For more in-depth coordination, Videoconferencing technology is advantageous during a pandemic where remote working is not an option. This is not only helpful only in terms of productivity, but also because it allows workers to mimic greater levels of connectivity towards other human beings, and thus, lessens the feeling of isolation.
A Successful remote working strategy entails managers keeping track of their employees. This can come in the form of daily video-call based meetings for teams working on collaborative projects. If the employees are working on a more independent basis, then one on one calls would be more suitable. Such check-in calls should be regular and consistent.
Optimize Primary Communication Platform
Whether a company decides to use Slack, Discourse or any other of the instant messaging platforms available, the company should optimize this for clearer staff-staff, or staff-manager engagement. This is important as it is the main way employees will be connecting with each other.
This online forum should be categorized, preferably into three main sections:
- The Company Level is visible to the entire company. This is the section where updates from management are available to all employees. Here, important info regarding everything from changing company regulations to welcoming new staff members will be visible to everyone.
- The Group Level should be where a broader range of dialogue is shared in regards to varying departments. There could be a group for the HR team, or the Digital Marketing Team, for example.
- The Team Level should take into account individual staff members and their team mates. This is primarily where coordination between members working on a particular project can communicate and form bonds.
Overall, there are many more ways to optimize methods of telecommunication. However, the basics must first be taken care of, such as those outlined above. In summary, these three aspects (Infrastructure, Check Ups and Communication) account for only the fundamentals of remote communication, but are necessary for expanding your company’s remote working experience.
Work Remotely With Logique Digital Indonesia
If you have web development skills and want to work remotely, consider joining Logique Digital Indonesia. Currently, we have job vacancies open for several positions, such as Front End Developer, Web Developer, Mobile App Developer, and many more. Please visit the Logique career page to find the positions that match your skills and experience.