Civil Servants who Engage in Remote Working: 3 Things to Prepare For
It had been proposed that civil servants should be allowed to engage in remote working through telecommuting systems. The notion was presented by the Ministry of Administrative and Bureaucratic Reform, and is currently in the former stages of its design and implementation.
Remote working has already been widely applied across a variety of businesses, especially in startup companies. With the technological advances happening in Indonesia, brought forth by the fourth industrial revolution, the implementation of this modern and alternatively convenient way of working is not an entirely farfetched idea for civil servants.
If such ‘modern’ means of employment were to actually be realized, there would inevitably be some things that must be prepared for so that the system can run effectively. Specifically, employers should be ready to adapt in the following ways:
1. Use Cloud Based Software
If your company still relies on hardware to store data, you should consider upgrading to a Cloud Based system and using mobile friendly technology, as such is a must-have for remote workers. Companies can use Google Drive or Dropbox to make it easier for remote workers to access documents and other important information wherever they are working from.
2. Update Your Work Policy for Remote Employees
In order to properly manage those in your employ working remotely, you must draft policy guidelines for them to follow. For example, here are some policies that you can use in this regard.
- Companies need to determine what positions are eligible for remote working.
- The expected timeframe in which employees should make themselves available should be clearly spelled out, such as requiring them to be ‘on call’ from 9 – 5, for example.
- In order to sustain remote working, your company’s internet connection must be adequate or better.
- An employee must make it his/her obligation to only access the company’s important data through a secure device.
The points mentioned above are just some examples. You should draft your own policies for those in your employ working remotely according to your own company’s rules and regulations.
3. Preparing tools that support telecommuting systems
Remote workers need the right tools to assist them, specifically with such methods of employment. Through today’s technological advances, there exists a wide array of tools available which can be used by remote workers in order to communicate more thoroughly, regardless of their respective locations. The company can provide Slack; a medium of communication, Trello; in regards to project management, and Dokodemo-Kerja; so as to monitor your worker’s overall productivity.
Logique Digital Indonesia Service
Logique Digital Indonesia provides a tool which aims to improve the overall performance of its employees through supervising their remote work, while also allowing for a level of privacy while doing so. Our application, Dokodemo-Kerja, records and calculates working hours so that the company may maintain the overall level productivity of its employees. Dokodemo-Kerja allows for employers to:
- Track and monitor an employee’s tasks with just one click
- Easily obtain an employee’s time report
- Manage your employee’s working hours